Comments on a Conference in Germany

I spent the last couple weeks in Germany. En route, we stopped in D.C. which was great since I got to meet up with a very missed roommate. Since this trip was going to include a conference with Nobel Laureates, I couldn't miss the opportunity to take a picture with the Einstein sculpture. What an amazing scientist he was. Very long biography though - I've borrowed it from the library 2 x in my life and still have not made it all the way through.
Eventually we made it to Lindau. My transcontinental flight was really not that bad. I watched 3 movies and read up on all the Laureates that would be there. I'll post about the meeting later. I still haven't distilled all of the good bits of knowledge into a succinct package - so that will happen later.

On the island I saw this ad:
I decided then and there that I now am a collector. Can I be called a collector if I only have 1 item? The answer I have decided is yes. More elements to come! I've already heard of some shoes that are titled Palladium.

After the conference we went to the island of Mainau. It was absolutely gorgeous! They had an exhibit of commonly used furniture taken over by nature. I decided that this picture would serve as a lovely reminder for what my bathroom will look like if not cleaned often enough!
In addition to the flowers, petting zoo, castle and fountains on the island - there was a butterfly "house." It was so awesome. Blue, red, purple, green butterflies were everywhere! I have never seen so many butterflies, flying, eating, chasing, fluttering. They also had this plant which reminded me of a thneed bush alternative (if only the Lorax knew) for making thneeds from a Dr. Suess book. 
One of my favorite butterflies was one with wings that looked like screen doors. Really expensive screen doors. I don't know how one flies with holes in your wings, but this one got around fine.
It may seem that all I did was view nature, art and ads, but I really did learn a lot from Germany. Now all that is left to do is to learn German. I hear that you can get free podcasts for that...so I'll have to get learning!

Comments

Mike said…
Sounds like a pretty awesome conference, plus it was in a nice area. It's nice when you come back from a conference actually having enjoyed it rather than just having survived it!

Popular posts from this blog

Moonshadows

Banana Cream Pies are a Labor of Love

The Hair Cut